With the winter months upon us, many wonder if their auto needs any additional servicing or maintenance. You may notice a difference in how your car sounds when idling, or how it starts in the cold morning or even the tire pressure fluctuations. Yes, winter car maintenance is key… not only to prevent problems but to keep little problems from becoming monstrous and expensive headaches. Rich White, executive director of the Car Care Council states, “Winterizing your vehicle before the temperatures drop is a wise idea. An investment of an hour or two to have your vehicle checked is all it takes to have peace of mind and help avoid the cost and hassle of car trouble during severe winter weather.” The cold, winter months can wreak havoc on your auto and therefore combat this wear and tear with some easy tips that will be sure to “keep the mechanic away”. So what type of car care tips do the experts recommend? Here are the top tips to keep your car running smoothly this winter:
- First and foremost, make sure you are following your manufacturer’s schedule for service. You can find this in your owner’s manual.
- Change your oil and filter. Your auto mechanic will know the perfect viscosity for your make and model. Frequently driving short, quick trips with stops will increase the need for your oil to be changed more often.
- Have your engine coolant ratio changed from 50/50 to 60/40 during the winter.
- Have your mechanic check your battery as the winter months drain your battery much faster.
- Examine your belts and hoses. Cold weather can deteriorate these parts, so have your mechanic check for any wear and tear.
- Check your tire pressure and tread to ensure proper traction in preparation for snow and icy rain. Do you live in a snowy area with lots of hills? Then switch to winter tires during the colder months.
- Have your mechanic check your heater, thermostat, brakes and defroster.
- Change your windshield-wiper spray to one made for freezing conditions.
4007A Westfax Dr Chantilly, Virginia (703) 802-0688 www.advancedautomotiveva.com
Auto Repair Serving: Chantilly, Centreville and South Riding Va